PAPYRUS was founded 23 years ago in the North West, by a group of bereaved parents who felt strongly that other families should not go through what they experienced. Since 1997, PAPYRUS has continued to listen to and learn from the experiences of those personally touched by young suicide.
With your support, PAPYRUS has been spreading hope for 23 years, reaching more young people across the UK living with thoughts of suicide – as well as those concerned for them. Today, PAPYRUS works in many ways to prevent young suicide. We couldn’t continue our life-saving services without our supporters, fundraisers and volunteers.
To celebrate this we are launching a BRAND NEW event for 2020. HOPE23 is our first ever virtual event that will be taking place in April. To find out more and to register please read the below information.
Get active for Suicide Prevention | Choose your activity. Choose your goal. Do it your own way.
HOPE23 is the event that fits around your life – do whatever you want, whenever you want, during the month of April. Help us to celebrate spreading HOPE and saving young lives for 23 years by taking part in HOPE23.
Choose to take on our daily, weekly, or monthly challenges at whatever pace suits you, in your own time, with anyone. Run, jog, dance, swim, cycle – the choice is yours! There are different challenges to suit everyone; you can choose to complete a challenge for the whole month or a few weeks. This is the challenge that fits around your life, helping us to prevent young suicide.
The aim of this challenge is to set yourself goals, push yourself and to have fun whilst getting sponsored for doing it! Like other aspects of this challenge the fundraising goal is set by you and reached by what you do. For handy tips on how to get the most out of your fundraising please contact our team on email@example.com.
Date: April 2020
Location: You decide
Challenge: daily, weekly, or monthly
Price: £5 per entry
If you decide to take on the daily challenge your goal is to take part in your chosen activity for 23 minutes every day for the month of April. You can change your activity day to day, as long as you are challenging yourself. Don’t worry if you don’t think you can complete the full month – take it week by week, and see how far you can get!
If you want to go for the weekly challenge instead, your goal is to reach 23,000 steps per week – whether this is running, walking, or dancing is entirely up to you. If your activity doesn’t work for steps, you can challenge yourself to completing 2 hours 30 mins of your activity per week.
Or if you decide to take on our monthly challenge, you will need to travel a total of 23 miles in April! It doesn’t matter how you travel 23 miles, as long as you get there in the end – you can swim, walk, cycle or skip, you decide.
Thank you for taking part in HOPE23 and helping PAPYRUS save more young lives.
HOPE23 is a BRAND NEW event for 2020 so we understand that you may have a lot of questions. You can find our FAQs below, or if you’re ready to get signed up then scroll to the bottom of this page for the registration form!
- What do I get for my £5 registration fee?
Your £5 registration fee includes:
- A HOPE23 pack that includes literature, a wristband, water bottle and a notebook.
- Dedicated support from the fundraising team to help you with any questions you may have. Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm.
- How can I track my activities?
It is completely up to you. Some ways we would suggest would be:
- Track your activities in your PAPYRUS notebook that is included in your registration pack.
- Register with Everydayhero, an online fundraising platform where you can track your progress as well as your fundraising. You can link up your chosen activity tracker app, e.g. FitBit, Strava, Map MyFitness, to your page and keep your supporters updated with your progress. Don’t worry if you don’t use an app, you can manually enter your activity too. For more information on Everydayhero, please click here.
- If you have chosen the steps challenge, you can download apps that count your steps for you. At the end of every day take a note of your step total so you can keep track.
- How should I collect donations?
There are several ways you can collect donations online and offline.
We recommend setting up an online fundraising page. The main one we are using for this event is Everydayhero however you can use any online fundraising platform you wish for example Virgin Money Giving or JustGiving.
You can download our sponsorship form here or if you are interested in collection tins/buckets please read our information here.
- Who should I contact if I need more information?
Please contact our fundraising team on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware it can take up to 5 working days for a reply and opening hours are Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm.
If you have a urgent query please ring our office on 01925 572 444
- What activities can I do?
- As long as your chosen activity gets you up and moving then you can do it! Why not challenge yourself to trying a new activity, or pushing yourself further?
- We want you to challenge yourself so if you usually walk for 10 minutes a day why not try doing the extra 13 minutes.
- It is also a great chance to try something new, join a new sporting group or get back into something you haven’t done for years!
- When does the challenge start and end?
PAPYRUS turns 23 in April so we decided this would be a great time to do something new!
- The event starts April the 1st 2020 and ends on April the 30th 2020.
- If the thought of taking on the challenge for a full month is too much – then why not try a weekly challenge for one or two weeks? You can try to complete the daily challenge for a week, or just take it a day at a time.
- What makes this different to other events?
HOPE23 is a virtual event. This means unlike other events you don’t have a set event date or set times to do your challenge.
- You decide when and how you do your challenge – every day, week or month.
- If you don’t have time during the week, then you could aim to get all your steps in at the weekend. If you go for a lunchtime walk, then you can start tracking this for your challenge – the best thing about a virtual event is that it fits around your lifestyle.
- The only rule is you complete it within the month of April.
Now that you’re all registered click here to start fundraising through Everydayhero!