PAPYRUS has developed a suicide safer schools and colleges guide. It can be downloaded for free here.
PAPYRUS can help your school or college become suicide safer by
- Helping the management and wellbeing team define their suicide safer policy
- Helping to train wellbeing staff to spot the signs that someone is struggling and how to help*
- Train wellbeing staff so that they can run their own awareness raising sessions in school.
- Help raise awareness among staff about how to spot the signs and how to signpost
- Help raise awareness among the pupils of how they can help someone they think is struggling
*Note this training can be shared by staff from several schools or colleges.
Depending on the size of your institution and the level of training you require the cost can vary from £210 to £1700.
Please get in touch with email@example.com if you would like to explore any of these opportunities further.
Example of a sustainable training programme for a suicide-safer school or college.
|Training||Duration||Applicability in school/ college community|
|ASIST||2 days||Heads of wellbeing/ safeguarding. Ideally minimum 2 staff per institution*|
|Identifying and talking about suicide||3.5 hours||Anyone with pastoral responsibility for students e.g. form tutors.|
|Suicide Awareness Raising||90 minutes||All staff|
* Sustainability: 2 Key staff are also trained to deliver a 30 minute suicide awareness sessions in their school or college.